Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Let's Get Down to Curating!

I started going through some of the common curation tools mentioned in week 3 of EME 6414, and am curious which ones you are using!

I've tried ScoopIt!, SlideShare, Pinterest, and Storify.

Storify would be great for popular interests in social media. I could see myself using this in keeping up with the latest trends in just about everything: music, politics, world events, television, etc. ScoopIt! seemed similar to Storify in that it shared the latest tips and events, covering a wide range of topics. In my opinion, when searching my topic for the knowledge sharing/tracking assignment, I could only find marketing/advertising posts related to my topic when I was more-so looking for How-Tos.

I enjoyed SlideShare and the "clip-it" feature, as I often like to post/share things for later viewing. I also realized that this source was more instructional in that it shared guides or instructions on what things were or how to perform certain actions. This seemed to apply better to what I was interested in searching.

Lastly, Pinterest is a curation tool I've been using for the past 4-5 years on and off. Typically, my sister will tag me in a post she's found and then I get hooked again. I feel like whatever I'm looking for, I can generally find it on Pinterest--whether it be as an article or website linked through an image, or as an instructional visual aid.

Has anyone used any of these or other curation tools, and what would you recommend that is similar to Pinterest?

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to use Diigo. I feel comfortable using that.
    Pinterest is heavily visual-based. If you wanna something similar, I suggest Google+. There are collections and communities in Google+ and they are all visual-based. However, I don't know whether Google+ can be utilized as a curation tool.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morning Evening. I'll take a look at it!

      Delete
  2. I liked Storify best. However, I really don't think I am the curator type. I think it can be very helpful for those who do it though.

    ReplyDelete