Thursday, August 3, 2017

OER Commons, Thank you

I took a pause last week because I was in the process of moving into my new home, so I dove back into week five's folder for EME 6414. Going through the tool resources, I found a gem: OER Commons. At the beginning of this course, I found a TED Talk that shared the experiences of professionals teaching higher-education courses to those who could not afford to attend universities (because of financial, geographical, or social constraints). When I reviewed OER Commons, I thought of this TED talk because it gives such a great opportunity for anyone to learn, free of charge.

Education is so critical in society today. It is one of the only things that you can have that cannot be taken from you. It's useful throughout your life and work experiences, and it never be unattainable for anyone that has a desire to learn. I'm very passionate about this topic because I was born and raised in  this environment. I am the first in my family to leave home for school, support myself, and obtain a graduate degree. From where I was from, it is not as common to go to college; our resources are limited; and our education is average at most. I am in no way blaming our school system or community, but am shedding light on the limited access and resources that rural and impoverished areas fall victim to.

Sites like OER Commons fight this injustice and promote educational opportunities for all. I'm proud of the men and women whose goals are to make resources available to as many as possible because education is one of the greatest gifts we can ever receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment